Saturday, September 6, 2008

Christ the Romantic

Hosea is my absolute favorite book of the Bible. It's such a beautiful story of our ever pursuing Christ. Hopefully you have read the book of Hosea, but if not, I will give you a brief summary: Hosea is a prophet who is commanded by God to marry a prostitute named Gomer. He marries her, with every intention of it being a sacred and committed relationship. Unfortunately, old habits die hard, especially for Gomer. She consistently leaves her husband to continue her life as a harlet and Hosea, who has just about every right to up and leave this unfaithful woman, continually pursues her. No matter how many times she leaves, he would get up and chase after her.
What a picture of love! God commands Hosea to do this, not to torture him, but rather to show Hosea what His love is all about. God paints a spectacular analogy between His relationship to His people, and Hosea's relationship to his unfaithful wife. God is the pursuer, the chaser the lover. God will always chase after us, our return is to run into His arms.
I had been thinking about this recently because of a love song that was recently introduced to my iPod. The song is called "More Than a Man" by Dave Barnes

I should first apologize
Cause I’ve done nothing, but I’ll do something
The good in me gets bad sometimes
But I don’t mean it
I’ll never mean it

Don’t give up on me
Baby please believe

Cause I’ll be more than a man for you
I’ll do anything you ask me to
Heartache or heaven
Baby I will, pursue
More than a man for you

I’ll try to name you deity
We all want something
I’m missing something
It Just explains the lack in me
Where I need you
And how I need you

So don’t give up on me
Baby please believe
Cause I’ll be more than a man for you
I’ll do anything you ask me to
Heartache or heaven
Baby I will, pursue
More than a man

There’s a war inside my
Heart and mind
Between the hope ahead and sin behind
All I ask, you believe in me

This song, minus a few blantantly human attributes, reminds me of Christ's love for us. God is romantic. Not in a humanly sense though, as our relationship with him is obviously different. But we are made in His image and just as a man longs for a woman and viceversa, Christ longs for us to be His. He loves us so much, he does and can do so much more than what we think someone can do for us.
Sometimes I get frustrated that i'm single, and that everyone is married, engaged or on their way there and I pray my usual "why" prayer. Every now and then I wish I had some dude sitting outside my door playing this song for me. But really, I already have God singing this song to me. He is and will be so much more than any man I ever date, or marry. Christ has been pursuing me as though I am His princess, His prized possession, and what do I do? I run to sin, or people, instead of returning the persistent love that Christ has been chasing me with. We are so apt to pursue things or people rather than the God that says:

Therefore I am now going to allure her;
I will lead her into the desert
and speak tenderly to her.
There I will give her back her vineyards,

and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope.
There she will sing as in the days of her youth,
as in the day she came up out of Egypt.
"In that day," declares the LORD,

"you will call me 'my husband';
Hosea 2:14-16a


No comments: